My favourite mushroom omelette
This is a great filling breakfast but also works equally as well as a lunch or dinner. I like to serve it with a generous side salad.
HEALTH BENEFITS: Eggs are sources of protein, fats and micronutrients that play an important role in basic nutrition. They will keep you full for longer and will keep your energy steady. Coriander is known for its antimicrobial benefits (1). Regular consumption of shiitake mushrooms may also result in improved immunity (2).
1 small red onion
6 shiitake mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes
2 tsp coconut or olive oil
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper
½ tsp dried chilli flakes, to taste
Fresh coriander or spring onions
1. Slice the red onion and mushrooms finely. Cut the tomatoes in half, and each half into 4 wedges.
2. Place the coconut oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the mushrooms and red onion for 2 mins before adding the tomatoes and cooking for a further 2 mins.
3. Lightly beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir the chilli flakes into the mushroom mixture then, after another minute, add the eggs.
5. Stir the eggs lightly. Leave to cook gently for a few mins until they begin to set, then pop the frying pan under a pre-heated grill and allow the top of the omelette to set (be careful with plastic handles!)
6. Scatter with fresh, chopped coriander and serve with a generous side salad.